Thursday, 21 November 2013

Cleaning of Shiwan figurine

The following photos are the usual before and after scenario. I found this piece to have some hidden beauty when it was cleaned back to it's original glaze. I think that the original patina (dirt) of the piece detracted from the subtleties that came through when finally cleaned. I have been suspect to a few Chinese pieces that have added age via fake patinas, this may have been one but I am really unsure though. It is an old piece, just over 100 years old. I have seen various other pieces over the years that look brand new and had no patina whatsoever, luck of the draw I say, possibly luck of the environment would be more apt.

When I was in China a few years back I noticed that a fair few of their local ceramics and terracotta pieces were displayed in open air environments and that this in turn gave the pieces a beautiful eroded look. Also noticed that, when in temples, that pieces are inundated with resinous smoke from incense and such. With temple pieces I have noticed that they actually smell like 80 years worth of incense, sadly, this one did not.

Enjoy.

Before. You can see areas around his stomach the original surface of the piece

After. The piece is back to it's original glory.

Detail.